If you are an individual RescueTime user you have probably noticed that your RescueTime Dashboard looks a bit different!
I am very excited to introduce to you the combined product of many years of user feedback and many months of development efforts – the New RescueTime. This is a quick blog post to go over the highlights of what you are about to experience with RescueTime in hopes that the transition from old to new is quick and easy and you can enjoy the site improvements as soon as possible.
This new version of RescueTime has given us the opportunity to use feedback we’ve received over the last few years to provide a better experience for our existing users. It will also make it easier for new users to become acquainted with the RescueTime product. With these changes we have undergone a huge technical upgrade replacing aging components and bringing our entire stack to modern and in some places bleeding edge technologies.
A lot of the changes you see were driven by the meteoric rise of mobile device use we’ve seen in the last few years. The RescueTime dashboard and reports will now work just as well on phones and tablets as they do on desktops and laptops.
New Feature Highlights
We have packed over 30 new features into this latest version of RescueTime and we will have a follow-on blog post [future link here] that goes over them in more detail, but I’m too excited not to mention at least a few of them!
- A completely rethought dashboard, based around common use cases
- A ‘spotlights’ section giving you a better sense of your daily patterns and things that have changed over time
- An ‘insights’ section that highlights notable information about the current day / week / month
- An Achievements block showing your lifetime total time logged, top productive day, and some other really cool information, especially for our long time users
- Reports have a new “daily patterns” view that shows you what time of day you tend to spend more time on particular activities, categories, or productivity levels
- Reports have a “changes over time” view that shows you how the current time period compares to the several days/weeks/months prior
- You can now set goals for applications (previously you could only set goals for productivity or categories).
- You can now compile a list of “highlights” about a given day. It’s a great way to remember what you accomplished
- New “What work did I get done?” view that shows you a filtered view to jog your memory about the productive work you spent time doing.
Old Features Missing
With all of the changes that were made, there were a few features that have been removed or are not yet ready for release. If there is something gone that you need, “Don’t Panic!” – you can still access the old site for a period of time, see the end of this blog post.
- The Projects feature as it was originally developed is no longer available in the new version of RescueTime. Our plans are to develop a much better replacement, but I can’t give you any time frames as to when that will be yet.
Custom Reports AKA Saved Searches are not yet available in the new version. We will have saved search capabilities released soon.(update: it’s in the new version, but has been renamed “keyword filters”)
- The Document and Details report is not available in the new version. You can still access all of your document details by first going to the Application & Websites report and clicking on specific applications to view the available documents.
- The Customizable Dashboard is no longer available in the new version. (Our new dashboard is perfect! So why would you want to customize it!? 😉 ) Seriously, though, the customization features were a lot of technical overhead that really didn’t get a whole lot of use, so we decided to go with a more structured approach.
- The Comparisons Report is no longer available as as single report. We’ve taken some of the things we learned from that report and applied them across the site. We will be adding even more new ways to view your data soon.
What does all this mean?
For the time being, the new version of RescueTime is only available to our individual users (both free and premium). If you are part of a Team account, a Research Project, or actively use the Projects feature, you will be automatically redirected back to the older version of RescueTime. The data is seamlessly shared between the two versions of RescueTime and will be for at least the next month or two.
If you are currently viewing the new version of RescueTime and want to switch back to the old version, you can do so by clicking the “old version” link at the top of the RescueTime Dashboard.
If you are an individual user and are currently viewing the old version of RescueTime, you can switch to the new version by going to the “settings” link on the old RescueTime Dashboard and selecting the “Click here to switch to the new interface” link on your Account Settings page.
Team users don’t despair, we’ve got some nice shiny new love coming your way soon.
We hope you love the new version of RescueTime as much as we do. We’re going to have a few bumps over the next couple of days, but we’ve got all hands on deck and will be addressing issues as they arise. I encourage you to take a bit of time to wander around the new site, take a tour of the new features and then come back and give us some feedback!