New on RescueTime.com, Compare your most and least productive days

We’d like to introduce you to a new idea we’ve been playing around with for the past few weeks. We want to make RescueTime even easier for discovering interesting insights about your behavior. Today, we’re launching the first version of our comparisons dashboard. It’s a way to quickly understand the differences between your most productive days and your least productive days.

Essentially, it analyzes all the time you have logged over the last 60 days, then ranks your days by your productivity score and splits your time into the top and bottom 30%. Then it averages those buckets to form a composites of your average productive day, and your average unproductive day. You can use the tabs at the top of the report to toggle back and forth between the two states, and see how your activities change.

You can see it for yourself at www.rescuetime.com/comparisons and here’s a video explaining it:

A couple notes about this report:

• Because this report analyzes your past data, it’s only available to people that have logged been active RescueTime users for at least 30 days. If you have just recently signed up, you’ll have to build up a little more data before you can see it.
  • This report requires a modern browser. We’ve tested it on the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Older versions of Internet Explorer will be prompted to install the Google Chrome Frame plugin or upgrade their browser.

We’re pretty excited about it, and we hope you find it useful too. It’s just a first attempt, and we’ll be expanding and improving it over time. One thing we’re working hard on is a way to compare other metrics besides productivity. There are a LOT of possibilities there.

We’d love to get your feedback on this. Is the comparisons report useful for you? Did you learn anything surprising? Is there something else you’d like to see? What types of comparisons would you like to see?

8 Comments on “New on RescueTime.com, Compare your most and least productive days”

1. Allan says:

This is a great feature. My productivity data is much more simplified-and thus understandable-than before.

2. Overwhelming. I don’t use Windows Explorer but there it is anyway. Search is part of my work day, so that needs re thinking.. I feel as though Big Brother is watching and making errors. Pressure is the last thing I want in my life, professional or otherwise.

3. Robby Macdonell says:

RescueTime is meant to be a platform for personal knowledge and understanding. If it feels pressuring and “Big Brother” to you, I’m truly sorry. Please be assured that no one will ever look at your data but you.

The Windows Explorer and Search issues you mentioned sound like they might be issues with things not being categorized correctly, which is a separate issue from this comparisons page (also, easily changed). If you’d like, you can email me at robby@rescuetime.com and I’d love to help you get those sorted out so your reports feel more accurate to you.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! We’ll keep working on it!

4. Megan says:

This is really awesome. I actually had a lot of uncategorized stuff in my RescueTime feedback that I’d been meaning to update but ever got around to it. This reminded me to do that (and it took, like, 10 minutes, so I don’t know why I put it off for so long) and it made it so my productivity was even a little higher! So now I will go be lazy for the rest of the day… because I earned it.

5. Mike says:

Great to see you guys working on new insights… I suspect that the question is more about which times of the day am I more productive rather than which days. Like you I am very interested in the issue of focus vs multitasking and distractions/procrastination and their effect on productivity… Now there is a challenge to untangle.. keep up the good work… now back to work :)

6. Angie Handley says:

I am starting to really love rescue time… This data was really useful.
    I knew that generally facebook was my downfall, but watching that bar slide all the way up on my least productive days confirmed that it, and some other things, were things I need to think about eliminating or watching out for on a day where I know I am not feeling productive. Simply swapping them out for something low-pressure but _slightly_ more productive could be all it takes to improve these days for me; catching up on industry news or new techniques that, while not super-productive, are still not dragging my score down so hard. We can’t have really productive days all the time, but we can tailor the less productive ones so that they are subtley better without adding too much pressure. This overview really helps with that.
    Rescue Time for me isn’t about pressure, it’s about subtely tailoring your downtime, and feeling good about your uptime!

7. iylliana says:

This new data is great. I had a feeling my worst days featured facebook heavily, and seeing that bar sliding up really proved it. It lets me know that what I suspected is true, and that just trying to spend more time doing something else on those days, not something super-productive, just something a little better, like reading industry news or learning new techniques, will boost my productivity a little.
    Rescue Time for me is not about pressure, it’s about learning about my own habits so that I can subtley improve them.

8. thisaac says:

This is great stuff! I’ve already begun to adjust my tasks and work based on the days of week where data shows I’m less/more productive. I consider this a big win!