Call for FocusedTime Beta Testers

[Update: We have completed Beta testing this feature. Thanks go out to all of the people who helped by providing bug reports and a lot of really good suggestions. We gave out a number of Solo Pro upgrades. Keep an eye on our blog post for upcoming opportunities to get yours!]

As Tony pointed out in last week’s blog post, we are getting ready to roll out a feature that allows people to voluntarily turn off some of the distracting portions of the internet.

We’re looking for some people that would be interested in beta testing to help us tune this feature.

If you are interested in participating you can download the beta version of RescueTime from:

RescueTime Beta Installer For OS X

RescueTime Beta Installer for Windows

Browsers Supported:

• Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari for Windows – Opera support will come later
  • Safari, WebKit, Firefox, and Minefield for OS X

As an extra incentive, we will be giving out a limited number of Solo Pro upgrades to beta testers that provide us will exceptional feedback and bug reports on the new feature.  Send bug reports and feedback to:  team AT rescuetime.com

23 Comments on “Call for FocusedTime Beta Testers”

1. It works great. Two things after two minutes of testing:
    1) In Safari the block page only appears after the target page has completely been loaded
    2) reddit.com is blocked, but digg.com is not – I think both are equally distracting

• Ed B says:

Just to back up what Lars said: in Chrome, the page loads fully, too.

This has the interesting effect of getting your hopes up, only to dash them as the black curtain is drawn across.

Quite neat, actually.

Anyway, in FireFox, RescueTime is quicker.

2. John Long says:

So far, so good. Still doesn’t help for those of us who use a desktop RSS reader (FeedDemon) as our primary distraction delivery system. 🙂

3. ya-ya says:

Yay for beta-testing – I’m really excited to try this!! I also just tested a few 2-minute block sessions. I sent a message re: some error messages I received when I first accessed some distracting sites. I also have a question, I chose “keep me honest” and then tried to unblock a site, but it just kept looping back to the original screen with the math problems, and each time I’d solve another and another, but the sight was not unblocked. Is that the way its supposed to work?? It might help to not have the option of the math problems for the “keep me honest” mode. Like I said, maybe its not supposed to loop like this, but it sure did deter me from the site!

4. When I turn on “get focused” it says click “here” to edit the focused settings. “Here” is highlighted like a link. But when I click it, nothing happens. I am running Windows 7 Build 7100 (release candidate). I can click everything else on the dialog, and the focus feature seems to work well.

5. Well Again Network says:

I’m not able to install it. I’m getting a Error message: “The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.”

6. Jason says:

7. Antaers19 says:

Great feature!
    Here is one feature request for it: it would be great, if i could block not only “Very Distracting” sites, but “Distracting” sites also.

I have not all “not usefull for work” sites in “VD” category. That not so “nasty time-eaters” sites to put they in VD, but when i focusing on work, they really should be blocked.

ps: Thanks for great software. For a long time i have planned to create advanced timetracker by myself (with features very similar to RescueTime). And now, when i found RescueTime, i happy that i’m not started development of this project. RescueTime Rocks! 🙂 Really! )

• Ed B says:

Agree – an option to block both levels would be excellent.

I must admit I am having a bit of a geekasm about this blocking thing.

It’s like NetNanny for professionals :=)

8. […] note that this build includes the FocusedTime beta features as well, which you can either try out for us or ignore if you’d rather just keep using […]

9. Richie says:

I would like to be able to know how much focus time I have left. Either by clicking on my tray icon, or when the blocked web page is displayed.

• Ed B says:

Me too.

Just started, and while the blocking is great – er, actually, I’m getting distracted by visiting blocked sites for fun – my tray app is now “all grayed-out” when I right-click.

Is this intentional? While I can see why there shouldn’t be a right-click “Panic” option for turning it off 😉 a countdown would be excellent.

In fact: how about a countdown LIVE in the tray?? I have used a big ol’ screen timer before to keep me on the straight and narrow, and found it really motivating.

10. Oleg says:

RescueTime won’t start for me. Tested with stable and beta versions on Leopard and (now) Snow Leopard. When I try to execute the binary via Terminal, here’s what I get:

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
    what(): locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

11. loïc m. says:

I woul’d like to try this feature, but when I install RescueTimeInstallerBeta.exe, no one “FocusTime” install.

I don’t have Pro account and don’t know how to solve the problem.
    Please, let’s me try this new great feature.

• loïc m. says:

don’t say in my first post : I try to uninstall / install RescueTime but nothing change.

I’m running version 2.1.0.59

12. Jake says:

I know it’s not officially released yet, but it would be great if you could start supporting Chromium on the Mac (the Chrome equivalent of Minefield). The latest builds are great and I’ve been using it for my day-to-day browsing.

13. mrm says:

Too bad Opera is not supported 🙁

14. Qrystal says:

I would have been totally willing to contribute my keen observational skills and desire to help improve a great product, but alas, the Beta version I just downloaded told me I must go Premium in order to do this.

Does this count as a bug? I feel bugged.

15. Grant Totten says:

What Qrystal said — I wanted to contribute to RescueTime by beta-testing the new features, but discovered that I can’t because it’s a Premium feature.

Grant

• ya-ya says:

I was beta-testing this feature with a free account, and then one day “poof” — now it says I have to have a premium account to access the feature. Is this a bug, or is the beta-test over for us freeloaders??? thanks!

16. Ed B says:

Just a note (also mailed): I do not have any “keep me honest” option. Instead, I can unblock any page by changing its status (in RT). Is this a new feature/change?

17. Ed B says:

After a day’s testing, I can honestly say that is a truly great addition to RT.

Really well done guys.

18. Bill Mill says:

When I visit http://google.com/reader, I get redirected to the rescuetime blocker, and then the rescuetime blocking page thinks it is blocked, and I finally end up at a page saying that rescuetime.com is blocked because it’s rated “2, very productive”.

Also, the slowness of the url being typed into my url bar is annoying.