Linux Data Collector Needs Your Support

Just a note to let you know that the recent release broke the open source Linux RescueTime Data Collector.  While we don’t technically maintain or support this app, we LOVE that it exists and want to help out however we can.  From what we can tell, the Linux Collector needs a pretty simple fix, which we might eventually find time to do.  Because it’s right after a release and we’re dealing with other issues, it might be a little while.

This seems like it’s a good time to give a shout out the the folks who’ve helped out to date on the Linux client and a request for other Linux-heads to chip in.  There are a lot of good reasons to participate in open-source projects– and the RescueTime Data Collector for Linux could really use some love.

6 Comments on “Linux Data Collector Needs Your Support”

1. Elliot says:

Hi Tony,
    Sorry I’ve been so busy! I just pushed revision 91 with a patch from some nice person named Jason that fixes the URL. Hope it works! If anyone wants to take this project to the next level and put together some packages, etc., I’m happy to spend some time coaching and giving advice on how to do it.

2. Elliot says:

Actually, now that I’m doing a tiny bit of testing, I’m wondering what the correct URL is for the API. It’s cool that you’re doing a call for help, but you forgot to mention what the new URL is ;)

-elliot

3. Brian Fioca says:

Hi Elliot – the URLs are the same, the problem is the YAML being sent doesn’t seem to be correct. We’re using a strict YAML parser now and the format of what the linux collect sends is being rejected.

4. Donny Kurnia says:

Hi, I’m using Linux uploader. This is the sample of rejected data. Can you tell me what need to fixed? Any new markup or escape character needed?

5. Elliot says:

I removed the urlescaping that was being done to some of the values, and uploads seem to be working now (at least in the 30 second test I did). Revision 92 of the linux client with this fix has been uploaded.

6. Grant says:

Hi Elliot,

I’m a linux uploader user and I’m finding that your updates (version 92 and 93) work when I’m not connected through my work’s VPN (and proxy), but when I connect the uploader reports this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    URLError:
    Connection is down. Pretending we succeeded in logging in.

It’s the “urlopen error timed out” message that is new.

Can you help?